Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Zack Arias, The One Light Man

The start: 15 years ago, I decided I wanted to be a photographer and we never had internet, or blogs to read or DVDs to learn from like you do now. So I went to Art School, and I dropped out of Art School because I was very much a technical person (I need to know the why), but it turned out instead that photography is a touchy emotional feeling, and I was looking to earn money out of a career rather than taking it as an art form. Then I found a very small commercial photography program at a technical school; it wasn’t a big university. When I was in school, I started assisting photographers every chance I got. I did that for about 3 or 4 years; working for other photographers and studios. I did that while I was trying to building up my portfolio and building my business. It took me a lot of time and effort to do it. My Style: Clean and simple. I’m a great believer in content over technique. In my heart, I’m a photo journalist but I’m making my living from commercial photography. How long have you been a professional photographer? I’ve been a professional photographer, making a living from it, for around 7½ years. How do you prepare for a photoshoot? I usually take the mood from the clients; what they want in the pictures (urban or natural landscape, light, happy, dark, etc….). I also ask the clients to give me some pictures that they love and hate. I never copy those pictures, but I can get what they like and don’t like from them. After that, I try to build the idea, physically through moving decoration around and putting on hip hop music to help me in my brain storming. Your favorite lens / camera / equipment: My favorite camera is the Nikon D3. My two favorite lenses are 35 mm F2 and the 105mm F2. For the lighting equipment, I have a whole bunch of Nikon flashes, SP80DX. For personal work I have mamiyaRZ67, I shoot film. During Sessions how many photos do you take, to get the right one: I average somewhere about 50 to 60 pictures an hour. I have to make time, it is very important. Right now, I have a huge personal project that I’m preparing for. Website to share: www.aphotoeditor.com Awards: No, I’m not one for entering contests. Last 4 Photoshoots: One of them is my personal project. Children’s clothing company (2 shoots) Country band in the USA My advice to new photographers: Make the most of the equipment you have At the end of the day it’s not about what camera or equipment you have. A word to your fans: I am just a guy. I appreciate that I got connected to people and get respect from people. But honestly, I have a hard time with that, since I do not know how I got here, ‘coz I’m only doing my thing. Word for LPMAG: I wish you all the luck in the world - keep on keepin’ on!   Workshops and Photography training DVD: http://www.OneLightWorkshop.com Zack runs photography workshops and also has Photography training DVD, Check out his website for more info about the award Telly award winner "One Light DVD" www.zackarias.com email: studio@zackarias.com http://www.OneLightWorkshop.com Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/usedfilm  












No comments:

Post a Comment